Who knew plaid and checkered shirts could look so stylish? It can – casual or dressed up, plaid, gingham and checkered shirts aren’t just farm-chic anymore. This spring and summer they can easily fit into your travel wardrobe – look for a fitted cut and in either classic colour combos (think blues and reds), or get flirty with pastels and neon checks. Use it like a a chambray shirt (see options here) when travelling (top it with a blazer, a light-knit sweater for chilly nights, and mix and match it with just about any bottom).
1. Topshop Atlanta plaid shirt, $62, nordstrom.com
2. 10 Crosby Derek Lam blouse, $398, shopbop.com
3. Sleeveless check shirt, £26.00, topshop.com
4. Splendid plaid button up, $160, eluxe.ca
5. Plaid flannel shirt, $80, madewell.com
6. Plaid popover, $ 70, madewell.com
7. Plaid piped western shirt, $58, nordstrom.com
Pair it With: Your Wardrobe Staples
1. Mango frayed denim shorts, $35, shop.mango.com
The festival and summer staple – denim cutoffs paired with a plaid shirt is the epitome of summer.
2. 7 For All Mankind white jeans, $198, eluxe.ca
Perfect for a spring weekend getaway, top your classic white denim with a plaid shirt, sleek belt and pointy-toe flats.
3. Madewell silhouette skirt, $88, madewell.com
Dress up your checked shirt with a black skirt (opt for a solid colour, and we like the idea of even pairing it with a leather skirt), high heeled sandals and a topknot for a night out.